PARTICIPATE IN UPTOWN READS
ORGANIZE AN EVENT:
Whether you are an established book club or planning a one-off event, we can help! Register your event by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, event title, date, time, venue, address, and description, and you can take advantage of discounts, swag, promo help, and other enhancements for your event. Some of the things we can supply are listed below. If you have any additional suggestions, please feel free to get in touch with us!
- Book club/reading circle: A classic and easy way to organize an event would be to hold a book club meeting (or reading circle) by setting up a time when a group of people you contact—whether they are friends, coworkers, or other associates—can meet to discuss Uptown Reads' selection. You can set multiple meeting dates and assign specific parts to be read before each meeting, or you can just set one meeting when everyone can discuss the entire book. The organizer or another moderator may prepare questions for the group to get the conversation started. You may even choose to work in time to read excerpts together during the book club meeting. If people wishing to participate in the book club have not yet read the whole book by the time of the meeting, that is okay! They can still join and participate in the discussion, or they can simply listen and be inspired to read further.
- An event with your own stories, in words and images
- A ZOOM party with the songs from the event!
BOOK CLUB FACILITATORS: Your group may already have someone who can moderate or facilitate a book club meeting or reading circle. However, if you would like to be paired with a neighbor who can facilitate a reading circle for your group, please get in touch at email@example.com!
DISCOUNTS: For book clubs, reading circles, and other events registered on our Uptown Reads webpage, we can provide:
- A promo code on our website, exclusively for members of your book club members, to buy the Uptown Reads' selection at www.wordupbooks.com at a discount.
- Register your book club on the Uptown Reads website and your book club members can get discounts for in-store purchases.
- Deeper discounts for bulk orders of 10 copies or more, billed through the event organizer.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
ATTEND AN EVENT:
Friday, December 4, 2020
LIBeración & Uptown Reads con Maria Hinojosa
7pm: Author Reading and Q&A (via ZOOM)
8pm: Spanish-language book club (via ZOOM)
LIBeración and Uptown Reads 2020 launch event to celebrate Maria Hinojosa's memoir Once I Was You. LIBeración's mission is to create a space dedicated to the Spanish-speaking community of New York, to enjoy, and discuss, literature. With the help of Word Up Community Bookstore, LIBeración will create events to discuss a different book every 6 weeks. The books will be available in Spanish and English, but the discussions will be in Spanish. LIBeración is a group organized by Nani (@readingwithnani).
PAST UPTOWN READ PROGRAMS