Lo'Mas Lit Book Club is a reading group, a book club, a discussion zone, quarantine-era hangout time for youth ages 13–20. Started in Summer 2020, this book club has brought together teens from across the Uptown Manhattan neighborhood and across the country. Meetings are every first and third Friday at 5pm throughout the Spring 2021 season; specific dates and books are:
World of Wonders by Aimee Nezhukumatathil
Meeting Dates: March 5 & 19
Almost American Girl by Robin Ha
Meeting Dates: May 7 & 21
Undocumented by Dan-el Padilla-Peralta
Meeting Dates: June 4 & 18
BOOK CLUB FACILITATION:
- Book club sessions will be led by Marilyn Ramirez, an uptown writer, activist, and teacher at George Washington High School.
- Some book club sessions will also be led by you and your fellow peers!
- The book club will be held in English.
- Club members who are ages 13–20—and who live in upper Manhattan or the Bronx—will receive book club picks for FREE. All books will be shipped or delivered.
- We kindly ask that non-local participants please purchase copies online from www.wordupbooks.com or from your local independent bookstore. After you register, we will provide a discount code you can use on our website.
- If funding is a barrier to participation, email us at email@example.com and we will work with you on this.
- If you are 21 years of age or older, stay tuned for new book clubs and other programs by Word Up!
So that we can have great discussions about the books, bringing all our different perspectives to the group, attendance is very important! After registration closes, we will send the first two books to eligible participants, but receiving the last two books will depend on your attendance.
If you attend at least seven of the Lo’Mas Lit meetings and/or author events, we will send you bonus books after the book club season ends!
In addition to the book club, there will be some events during which the featured book club authors will be in conversation with other authors. The public at large is welcome to attend, and book club members are strongly encouraged to join! Registration for each public author event is separate from book club registration.
Registration is open to readers ages 13–20. Register for the book club by
Sunday, February 14, 2021. REGISTRATION EXTENDED UNTIL SUNDAY 2/21.
Lo'Mas Lit Book Club is presented collaboratively by Word Up Community Bookshop and co-curator Angie Cruz, as part of the Uptown Kid Lit program.
BOOKS FOR SPRING 2021 EDITION:
Email or call for price.