UPDATE 6/15: Word Up will be opening for limited browsing on June 18, 2021 with a 10th birthday party .
NEW LIMITED BROWSING HOURS
Tuesday - Friday 12 - 6pm
Saturday 11am - 5pm
Sunday - Monday CLOSED
Masks required | Limited capacity
UPDATE 1/15: COVID-19 Self-Test Pop-Up (Starting Tuesday, January 19th)
(Paper-cut "Wash Up!/¡Lávate las manos!" by Jerise Fogel, March 2020. Word Up customer bathroom door.)
Community is in our name. And while we normally want to spread love the Uptown way . . . right now, “community spread” of COVID-19 is precisely what we need to quash. So we’re closing Word Up Community Bookshop/Librería Comunitaria to the public until further notice.
STAY IN TOUCH
While our storefront is physically closed, please make sure you sign up for our newsletter and follow us on Instagram and Facebook. You can also reach us by phone at (347) 688-4456 and someone will get back to you.
We know books are essential, and that our ability to provide them for you is too. Luckily you may still shop online for books at www.WordUpBooks.com, anytime! And, we now also sell digital audiobooks, e-books, and online gift certificates. We also have a page at Bookshop.org.
Although we can't see you in person for now, we don't need to wait till we reopen to connect. If you're interested in organizing an online event, fill out our new Virtual Event Request Form, and check our newsletter and social media for upcoming programming.
JOIN AS A MEMBER, OR MAKE A ONE-TIME DONATION
Join or donate here, and help keep us afloat during and after this pandemic. Memberships provide discounts and other perks, and, because we are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, donations are tax-deductible to the fullest extent of the law.
- Varios recursos educativos y lúdicos online gratis (compiled by Word Up volunteer Claudine)
- Rona at Home Kit: Things to do Virtualy While Quarantined Because of Rona (compiled by Word Up volunteer Julie)
- Rona at Home Kit Part 2: Forced Rona Vacation (compiled by Word Up volunteer Julie)
- NYC United Against Coronavirus
- Coronavirus Community Response Network / Red de Reacción Comunitaria al Coronavirus
- Right to Counsel/Housing Justice for All's FAQ for April 1
- Food Hub NYC
- NYFA's Emergency Grants list
- BOMB's list of online tools, workshops, and livestreams
- Bronx Council on the Arts' COVID-19 Resources for Artists and Arts Organizations
- Children's Book Council's list of educational resources, activities, discussion guides, teacher guides from publishers
- Literacy Inc's Read Aloud Archive
- Tip our local postal workers, who are deemed essential at this time but don't get hazard pay or other benefits.
- Support BINC, which helps booksellers across the country who've been laid off, or who have insurmountable health expenses due to things like pandemics.
- Donate to the People's Fridge outside Word Up, which accepts monetary or food donations.
RONA AT HOME KIT: Things to do Virtually While Quarantined Because of Rona
RONA AT HOME KIT PART 2: Forced Rona Vacation