Located on the corner of 165th St. & Amsterdam Ave. outside Word Up Community Bookshop | Librería Comunitaria in Washington Heights, NYC
The People’s Fridge is everyone’s fridge! It is a place where we can always find food and a place where we can share food that we don’t need. It is a place where we can support each other and make sure that as many people are fed as possible. It's a place where we can find a snack and water when we’re hungry or thirsty. It’s a place where we can meet our neighbors and share recipes and stories. We should all treat this fridge as our own, making sure that when we take, we leave enough for others, and that when we give, we only give what we ourselves would eat!
The People’s Fridge accepts:
- Produce: Any fruits or vegetables that are fresh and edible are always welcome.
- Canned/boxed foods: any food that you buy in a package in a store is welcome.
- Meat: MUST be put in the freezer.
- Dried foods and grains: accepted when packed individually (1-5 lb. bags).
- Bread and baked goods: accepted ONLY if they are individually wrapped and labeled with all ingredients, all allergens,* and preparation dates. If you need help with this, please let us know! We can provide packaging and labeling materials.
- Eggs, cheese, & other dairy products: please make sure they are labeled with expiration dates.
- Plant-Based Options: we encourage people to bring plant-based milks, meat substitutes, and egg substitutes.
*Common Allergens: eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, milk, shellfish
If you are connected to a restaurant or bakery that wants to donate prepared food/meals, fresh juices, or any of the above, please contact us at email@example.com or DM @peoplesfridgewordup on Instagram
The People’s Fridge does NOT accept:
- Opened or half-eaten foods: Please do not give food that you have eaten.
- Non-labeled foods: If a food item (besides produce) is not labeled with what it is or what ingredients are in it, we will have to throw it away.
- Homemade prepared meals: We are not currently accepting prepared meals that are homemade.
Make sure the food is food that you yourself would eat (dietary restrictions aside)!
Venmo: @Elise-Strumpf (organizer)